Project 3, week 2

To Kill A Mockingbird

Now At the development stage of my project, my book cover design was starting to take shape. From the minute I got the brief I knew that I had only about a week and a half to produce a fresh, interesting and unique design. Different to previous designs seen for this immensely well renowned and loved book. It was a challenge that really got me excited about the project, especially working with stills from the the oscar winning film and taking all my research into the designing stage.

Prior to developing the project, I created a mini summery of all the important factors that really summed up the novel and all it’s prominent themes. The main one that stood out to me was the destruction of the innocent and racial injustice. The story is narrated through young Scout and therefore plays a major part to the visuals. Whilst watching the film, the sequence of Scout moving inside the tire was a visual that hadn’t been played around before with previous book designs and therefore made sense to try this new perspective on the book design. I combined this with the slogan

RACING TO SAVE THE INNOCENT

This would be he foundation to which I would then experiment with layout, colour and text on top.

img_2072

img_2073

Quick brief sketching to explore other ideas before settling on my initial idea. From constructive feedback, my initial idea was preferred to the other ideas due to its vibrancy and uniqueness to other ideas.
img_2074

Having now decided to go with my initial idea, most of the prep sketching, colour considerations had been started. This meant that I could continue to develop the the tire wheel with scout inside by further exploring colour combinations. For me the colours red and orange were most ideal to portraying danger and urgency. Either then combined with a light grey or calmer colour would level out the intensity of the design. The wheel needed to be the most vibrant visual of the design in order to make it stand out and be eye catching.

img_2075 img_2076

By photocopying my earlier layout ideas, I could develop this by choosing exactly where I would like the tire wheel to be rolling across the book design. I decided to have the wheel rolling along both pages on the lower part of the book. However later when design in illustrator I changed this to just the front book cover, I felt it would be too repetitive to have the concept rolling on both pages and decided to make this decision.
img_2077The spine of the book was also taken into consideration. Once I had decided the overall front and back design, I decided to use a bright orange spine to compliment my design.

Colour tire wheel considerations

img_2079 img_2081 Final refined tire wheelimg_2082

Fonts that complimented the final tire wheel design.
img_2083

Having now created the tire wheel and looked at appropriate fonts. I could then take these into the book design template and begin to experiment with layout, colour and refine the whole design. img_2084

img_2085

Through refinement, I was able to create initial design the way I envisioned it and improved it further. Overall I feel this project even though the deadline was short has really challenged me creatively. Ive noticed a strength in my illustration skills, and feel more confident in my work. If there was a weakness, it would be to check my spelling mistakes as they cropped up a few times towards the final refinement of my book cover design. In conclusion I’m very pleased with my outcome and feel an immense improvement in my design and technical skills.